Especially if you want tech hours on it, at the moment.
Because there are folks there looking for a project to contribute to, but they aren’t always sure how to contribute.
A. Not how protest camps or squats, or hippy gathering happens. They are grassroots #DIY were people “just know” what to do because it has to be done to create the “world” around them.
Here you are describing the #geekproblem as a path out of the “problem” am addressing. Protest camps, squats and hippy gatherings all happen in the “real world” and are made by “real people” so “geeks” could/need to do all of them gives you an idea where the “problem” is 🙂
Q. Possibly even put the bite sized chunks into a toot and make it an appeal for help. Because yes we do have issues in the tech community with ignoring the negativity but sometimes folks will make grabby hands for the chance to do something positive, even a tiny thing to move a project forward.
A. have been working on this for 20 years, we can’t “solve” this problem from “inside” the problem. Change/change is needed from meany people to shift the #blocking culture. Am one voice, it requires a community, yes the are tools #4open #OGB #OMN etc are useful. If the chicken and egg “problem” can be mediated.
“All code is ideology solidified into action – most contemporary code is capitalism”
You and your wider community can take the #4opens and judge codeing projects, thus discard 90% of them. The remaining 10% will have obvious holes that then people can focus on, examples are the projects I push. By doing this, building up and widening our “culture” we can focus on the 1% that is really important. From this we change the world as default, and likely our nature. Of course, it’s not this simple and challenge/change can easily be negative. It’s this or #deathcult
Q. OK, so consider that some geeks may not see how they can contribute, it could be background, it could be they haven’t had much of an opportunity to interact with the real world of protest.
We need to open the door both ways. Not just make tech more accessible to folks outside tech, but to figure out how to open the door so that techies can start to learn how they can help.
I think it’s a bit like pebbles on a mountain, small steps then we can build on that and make larger momentum.
A. metaphors are the precursor of action, what is needed is a group of people to take action – this is how every protest camp, squat or hippy gathering starts.
We have the metaphors, we have some actions (#4opens process is easy) what we are lacking is groups of people.
We have a soft social problem, NOT a hard codeing problem.
Urgency is always here, the spiky hashtags are there to find these groups. Use them or lose them.
Q. I think that’s something you can build on.
A. “not how protest camps or squats, or hippy gathering happens. They are grassroots #DIY were people “just know” what to do because it has to be done to create the “world” around them.”
The is a boring circal, The is a “I” “you” issue that surprisingly happens less in the above world. On the web in the context of meany of the people am talking to, I call this #stupidindividualism this hashtag expresses the boring circal.
Q. Our mainstream culture in the Western world certainly does focus on the “I” rather than the commons. We have gone backwards.
We can persuade people to our point of view, but it does take energy to do so. Most people don’t come up against life endangering adversity so it’s hard for them to see the issue. We are still wired to see immediate danger rather than what could be seen as existential danger to life.
A. its a cultural problem, how are cultures created is maybe usefully to look at.
How to do affective change/challenge this is a long history of this http://visionon.tv
Q. Most folks don’t fall foul of laws etc, because they are never put in a position to be. But when you end up at the edges, that’s when you see the harm. For example, I had a very nieve idea about the UK and the EU and the Union. I’m now at the edges as I’m a 3rd country national in France.
Yet I still have an immense amount of privilege. Refugees are harmed way more by the edges of society and law than I am. But mainstream folks see people at the edges as a threat.
It’s the same with environmental and social protests, people in the mainstream don’t get why the edges harm.
A. With #climatechaos
most of us will be pushed to the “edge” so we are fighting a down hill battle. BUT as we get to the edge we have less power/privilege, so better to act now then leave it to the end when we won’t have the power left to stop ourselves going over.
Basic stuff – use it or lose it #OMN